CANCER IS NOT A MENACE WITH PREVENTIVE MEASURES: DR. G K RATH

CANCER IS NOT A MENACE WITH PREVENTIVE MEASURES: DR. G K RATH

CANCER IS NOT A MENACE WITH PREVENTIVE MEASURES: DR. G K RATH

 

No.PR-119
October 16, 2015
New Delhi

 

CANCER IS NOT A MENACE WITH PREVENTIVE MEASURES: DR. G K RATH
 

Chief, Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, AIIMS Dr. G K Rath on Friday revealed that 80 per cent of the cancer is curable with preventive and cautionary measures and that it is one of the safest non-communicable diseases if detected in time and suitable prescriptions and medical counsel recommended by the doctors followed by the targeted patients.
 

Addressing a Conference on ‘Cancer-Looming Threats and Perils of Wilful Ignorance’ under aegis of PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry in association with Indian Cancer Society, Dr. Rath, however, added that only 20 per cent of tobacco cancer can be cured and thus suggested that tobacco eating and smoking required to be quit at once to halt cancer getting penetrated into mouth of those that are accustomed to this essential vice.
 

According to him, once mouth cancer for which tobacco chewing and smoking are the essential reason is detected in the patient, 80 per cent chances of survival for such patients fade away and that only 20 per cent tobacco eaters and smokers with mild cancerous infection stand to survive and that too not for very long.
 

Dr. Rath, however, added that breast cancer is emerging as one of the serious threat in the Indian female community as a vast majority of them do not take it so seriously as to examine its breast at once a year and that is why its spread is becoming pervasive.  With necessary precautions, healthy life style and lesser uses of protein including routine exercise, the menace of breast cancer can be prevented from spreading.
 

According to him, “80 per cent of cancer patients can be cured with treatment availability that exists at home provided the patients have consulted the doctor in its earlier stages and with suitable medical counsel, the dreaded disease can be controlled.  Once, the earlier stage cancer infection is developed a little widely, in such cases, the survival chances reduce to merely 20 per cent.  Therefore, what is required is the awakening and a disciplinary life style as cancer is non-communicable and this is one reason for its being the safest disease”.
 

Scientist ‘G’ & Head (NCD), Indian Council of Medical Research, Dr. D K Shukla in his observations said that the ICMR has intensified its efforts to conduct voluminous research for causes of cancer and working hard to spread awakening among the masses so that the mortality rate on account of cancer fall down substantially and people become aware of them and mend their ways and life style as well.
 

President, PHD Chamber, Mr. Alok B. Shriram in his welcome remarks said that awakening was one factor which can prevent cancer and his observations were subsequently endorsed by other panellists in the inaugural session comprised President, Cancer Sahyog a unit of Indian Cancer Society, Mrs. Sita Paintal and Hony. Secretary, Indian Cancer Society Mrs. Jyotsna Govil.
 

ENDS

Koteshwar Prasad Dobhal
Consultant (PR)